I am a Vancouver-based Registered Clinical Counsellor and hold a Master of Counselling degree. I believe that healing comes from integrating all aspects of the self — physical, mental, emotional and even spiritual. With a holistic approach to counselling, I aim to facilitate individuals and couples in bringing joy to life again.
I wholeheartedly believe that we are the experts in our own lives. We can often make important changes on our own, but there are times when a safe and supportive therapeutic alliance can help us to find our preferred paths. One way that I help clients explore their unique paths to happiness and wellbeing is through collaborative therapeutic conversations. Talking alone is insufficient in the case of trauma, however, because trauma memories are stored in the body as well as the mind. I find it essential to use evidence-based mind-body techniques to help clients safely explore and heal the suffering of past traumas
I am a certified member of the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors (http://bc-counsellors.org/). I am also a Divorce Coach and member of the Collaborative Divorce Vancouver (http://www.collaborativedivorcebc.com/).
My therapeutic background includes:
- Narrative therapy (http://www.dulwichcentre.com.au/what-is-narrative-therapy.html)
- Divorce Coaching (http://www.collaborativedivorcebc.com/team/divorce_coach.php)
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (https://www.gottman.com/)
- Solution-focused therapy (http://www.solutionfocused.net/solutionfocusedtherapy.html)
- Motivational Interviewing (http://www.motivationalinterview.org/)
- EMDR (http://www.emdria.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=2)
- Mindfulness-Based Interventions (http://drdansiegel.com/ , http://www.wildmind.org/applied/daily-life/what-is-mindfulness , http://www.mbct.com/)
- Mind-Body Techniques (http://yogafordepression.com/ , http://www.traumacenter.org/research/Yoga_Study.php , http://www.sensorimotorpsychotherapy.org/home/index.html)
Along with a commitment to lifelong learning my counselling work is enhanced by years of wholehearted engagement with body-centered healing practices, including decades of yoga practice and teaching. My yoga certification is from internationally recognized teachers Dona Holleman, Orit Sen-Gupta and Gioia Irwin. I am also certified as a Trauma-Sensitive Yoga Instructor by the Trauma Institute in Boston, MA, and am a member of the International Association of Yoga Therapists.
I live in Vancouver with my husband, our golden retriever and our lovebird. Over the years, I’ve gained a rich appreciation for all that’s involved in conscious and loving parenting through the privilege of raising four children, including two step-children.
“The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change.”
~ Carl Rogers